SOMAFID (SOIL MAPPER Fire Detection) is the new system developed by MEEO to detect active fires in a MODIS and MSG-2 SEVIRI scene.
The SOMAFID algorithm improves the MODIS Fire Detection (MOFID) algorithm, developed by the MODIS Science Team as a Level 2 product (MOD14).
The following improvements have been introduced:
- Reduction of the number of false alarms due to clouds and water bodies by means of SOIL MAPPER classification-based masking.
- Definition of 3 different background conditions of active fires:
- High biomass vegetation (for example, forests)
- Low biomass vegetation (for example, low humidity biomass like tree bark)
- No-vegetation (for example, bare soil and buildings)
- Fire pixel recognition of 3 distinct fire stages, characterized by different fire intensity, temperature, combustion efficiency and emission ratios:
- flaming fire
- smoldering fire
- mixed stage
The SOMAFID system identifies active fires and generates nine different output classes, three for each background type.